Job Title: Lead Designer
Reporting to: Senior Project Manager
Who we are: Peter Duffy Limited is a regional civil engineering and utilities services company operating throughout Yorkshire and Humberside. We work with our clients ranging from Private developers, local authorities, water companies and blue chip organisations to deliver first class projects whilst maintaining excellent relationships with our clients. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company
We are looking for a Design Lead with a background in Civil Engineering to join our integrated team and lead the design of infra and non-infra projects on our Yorkshire Water Framework from outline design through to detailed design, construction and commissioning support.
- Performing and coordinating internal and external activities associated with civil design, inc. drainage design, in line with client specifications and design standards.
- Design duties will include preparation of design solutions at various stages of a project; preparation of drawings, reports, specifications, and estimates; document management; attendance at meetings and checking the work of other team members to ensure accuracy.
- Co-ordination of a wide range of discipline inputs; monitoring and protecting our client relationships; planning and programming;
commercial management and presenting projects for audit.
- Maintaining on-going communication with relevant Team Leaders / Senior Managers and clients when required to ensure effective
communications on matters relevant to the project.
- Contributing to the resolution of technical issues on projects and providing technical guidance to other team members, such as junior
engineers, technicians, and apprentices.
- Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design.
- Promoting and developing the technical capability of other team members.
- Gaining awareness of, and familiarity with, the commercial aspects of projects to develop commercial skills.
- Developing innovative and entrepreneurial thinking and behaviour.
- Continual professional development in the industry and keeping up to date with innovations and developments.
- Being familiar with, and compliant with, relevant Health & Safety regulations and to promote a culture of awareness within the team.
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your line managers, project managers or by the business.
- Lead by example to others on site and implement best practice procedures within the team
- Ensure our people work to the company values and respect the public and their surroundings
- Maintain quality and environmental control procedures in accordance with ISO 9001and ISO 14001.
- Create and maintain good relations with clients, design teams and neighbours as well as any other stakeholders.
- Be a qualified Engineer and ideally chartered or a member of a relevant institution i.e. ICE
- Have substantial civil design experience, inc. drainage, gained through working on infrastructure projects within the UK water sector.
- Have strong knowledge of the UK Water Industry and Sewer Sector Guidance standards for drainage design.
- Have expertise in software design methods such as MicroDrainage, AutoCAD and Civils3D, knowledge of integration with BIM models would be desirable.
- Be technically competent in fundamental hydraulic design principles and ability to apply manual calculation methods where software methods are not available.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Have line management and performance management experience.
- Have experience in a client facing position.
- Have the ability to think in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner.
- Have a strong team-working ethic is essential.
- Have good people skills with the ability to lead a team and to motivate others.
- Have a willingness to learn and improve skills.
- Have a positive attitude.
- Have excellent communication, organisational, planning and time management skills.
- Have a full UK driving license.