The contract to carry out the design and construction of all elements associated with the Civils and Balance of Plant works associated with the installation of a 85metre high 0.5MW wind turbine on an existing WwTW; including access track (new and modifications), hard standing, turbine foundations, substation, trenching.
The site of the proposed turbine was located on an existing live Waste Water Treatment Works , which itself was constrained not alone by the day to day operations which we on-going on the site, but all the fact that it could only be accessed by trafficking through a residential and commercial area.
A key element to the works was that we had to ensure none of our works impeded the day to day operations of the live treatment site and carry out the works with the constraints placed on us by the client.
The scope of works undertaken by Peter Duffy Limited:
- Undertake the role of Principal Designer and Principal Contractor for the scheme.
- Design of all civil & electrical works to enable the successful installation of the wind turbine.
- Ground investigation.
- Earthworks requiring cut and fill operation for the foundation base and access roads.
- Ground stabilisation which involved the drilling & grouting of old mine workings.
- Modification to existing and installation of new access roads to accommodate the delivery of wind turbine components.
- Construction of wind turbine foundations consisting of a 170m3 reinforced concrete foundation founded on 27.5m deep, 600mm dia CFA piles.
- Construction of hard standing laydown & crane lifting areas.
- Construction of substation building.
- Installation of ducts for electrical (HV & LV) & control cables.
- Installation of HV, LV and control cabling.
- The installation of HV switch gear within the existing WwTW substation.
- The installation of a 690/11000V transformer.
- Installation of a 500kW wind turbine with a 77m tip height.
- Reinstatement of hard / soft landscaping.
- Testing and commissioning.